The Talkative Man speaks
<--Added on 8/22/08 for migration to TPB -->
Tuesday, May 23, 2006
  Mayhem in the morning
On my first visit to US, we came as a little group. After the lengthy immigration procedures, we checked into the hotel Sunday night. Slept and reported to office the next morning and felt very normal. The clients were surprised that we looked quite okay without any travel hangover. Anyway, we were let off from office very early at 3 pm and spent the whole evening playing tennis.
I and my manager were expected to have the first meeting with the client Tuesday morn at 8am. I went to bed feeling very much normal but was unaware that the dreadful jet lag was slowly and surely setting in.

That night I had the craziest of nightmares. I was writing my 12 std exams, it was the eve of an exam and I had studied nothing more than 4 or 5 pages out of the 445 page textbook the entire year!! There was tremendous slogging in the dream itself and suddenly hearing some persistent ringing noise(in reality the phone), woke up with a start the next morn. I was actually sweating when I woke up and when finding it was all a dream, allowed myself a big sigh of relief! Gave a few thumps on the bed in joy, having got "out" of such a critical situation.

Just then I looked at the clock and it was 7:45!!! I jumped out of bed with a shriek, in utter panic. First meeting with the client in 15min, no car and I've just got up - for a few seconds, I raced around like a chicken whose neck had just been chopped off! Promptly changed into formals, glanced at the mirror, "arranged" my hair with bare hands and rushed out, there was no other alternative. Thankfully this wasn't India so it wasn't dusty, and with the temperature being normal in early August, you don't look that bad even if step into office straight out of bed. [My roommate had done the same trick in India a year earlier, and maybe that's how I was emboldened to try the idea!]

Raced to the hotel reception where the driver was just starting the shuttle to my company, got to office, frantically searched for the elevator, cursing the fact that my seat was in the 19th floor. Wonder of wonders reached my office at 8:05, the American guy had not yet joined us! My Indian manager said he had called me thrice from office and I casually told him what had happened, triumphantly smiling that the American hadnt turned up yet. The shocked look on my manager's face was unforgettable.

What a good thing the driver was just starting the shuttle, else I would have taken off on a mad run on the freeway and got arrested by the cops!

After two hours as I shook hands with the client chap, I didn't forget to tell him(inwardly of course), 'Bless you dude, you ain't got the faintest clue that you've just attended the wildest funny-shit meeting in your life!' Thereafter, for the rest of my tenure in that office, my warmest niceties were reserved for him.

 
Comments:
Whew! But it sure was your day!!

What is with nightmares about exams?? I used to get it often as mentioned in my Dreams Post.
 
I could never figure our those damn Radio alarms.

Safely, I would call up the reception for a wake-up call. Well, its not your mother, but it works.
 
me too,
It's important to flush the subconcious buffer before sleep. Exams/Sickness/Injuries in dreams are manifestations that appear even if we have anxieties about totally different things.

Santhosh,
Agree with the radio alarms. My ex-apt-mate had one with complicated knobs and buttons and he always used the radio at full volume, not the beeps. I merely yanked his plug from the socket every time it rang, resetting the time back to 12:00.
 
u didn't brush ur teeth?
 
I,
No!
 
wow great i have read many articles about this topic and everytime i learn something new i dont think it will ever stop always new info , Thanks for all of your hard work!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:

An archivist with varying interests

Previous Posts

Davis Cup semifinal 1987
Sai Paranjpe's Chashme Baddoor
Director Bharathan's Pranaamam
Anything but Big Fun : bubblegum
Railway Journeys - II
A Hyperactive spirit
Ek Duje Ke Liye
Looking back on Amritraj vs Jaite
Freak Encounters - I
An unlikely friendship short-lived
Railway journeys - I
Michael Jordan the greatest:The Flu Game
History at Capetown?
Images from Malgudi Days(DVD)
Found after a 17 year search!
Champions Trophy deja vu
Remembrance
Deepavali song
Heard in passing
Phil Tufnell fielding school
Indian cricket since its embryonic days
Journalism's Joan of Arc
Stills from Idhaya Thamarai/Aur Ek Prem Kahani
The World of Amar Chitra Katha
..and I saw Carl Lewis last weekend!
Two memorable Calypso hits
The sensational triumph in the '83 World Cup
Doordarshan and Frustration!!!
Date with a chennai girl!
Mayhem in the morning
Dream Teams: India XI vs World XI
How Dad's work
Pelting his way into the record books!
Relentless march of time
Close encounters of the Desi Kind
Thandaa paani!
Keep going
Indian Male yuppie: Boy->Man->Gentleman
Hamlet revisited
Rediff is just another TOI
Malgudi Days on DVD
TN Cricket - I : Early heroes
Bala, Bharatan and Guha
Warne does the trick once again
Remembering PV
A rare pic: Aandavans of Alwarpet
Random jottings on friendship
A gutsy analyst
Rarest among Jewels
Adhu Oru Kanaa Kaalam(2005)
The Terrorist(1997)
Holiday plans
Those small pleasures
Stalwart Narrator
Beginning

Google

Blogs I read